Adrian HorridgeI am a retired professor still working on bee vision and general history of traditional canoes and sailing boats of the Pacific region. Updated 2018-04-08
The latest news is that my right hip and right knee have now settled down with new joints, that feel heavy when swimming.
I expect to be in St. John's College, Cambridge on Sunday 1 July 2018. If anybody hopes to see me alive and talking, send me an email.
It's been a hot, long summer and the rose garden is very dry. There will probably be a Spring Garden Party about the first week of November 2018, when the roses are in full bloom.
Recent papers on bee vision
- Bee Vision is Totally Different (2017). The Australasian Beekeeper 2017 Vol 118, No. 12, 544-546.
- 415-360-1366 (2017). American Bee Journal Vol 157, No. 9, September 2017. 985-987.
- Parallel inputs to memory in bee colour vision (2016). Acta Biologica Hungarica 67, 1-26.
- 9714049920 (2015). Eye and Brain 7, 83-107.
- How bees distinguish colors (2015). Eye and Brain 7, 17-34.
- 2075828950 (2015). PloS ONE 10, 1-23.
- Honeybee: Design of the Visual System - Encyclopedia of Optical and Photonic Engineering (2015, Taylor & Francis)
- How bees distinguish black from white (2014). Eye and Brain 6, 9-17.
- The anti-intuitive visual system of the honey bee (2012). Acta Biologica Hungarica 63 (Suppl. 2), pp. 146161
People in Neurobiology
Video interview 2012 (ANU School of History project)
- Academy of Sciences Interview 2002
- What Does the Honeybee See? (2009) book cover
- Crab response to sun's movement
- Gatty Marine Lab, St Andrews, History
- Visual processing of pattern (in Invertebrate Vision (2006) ed Warrant and Nilsson)
- Resolution of insect eye depends on field size of feature detectors (2005)
- Scientific advances; history
- VOL 47 No.1 ANU Repoter 2016
- Family history
- Horridge extended family ancestry
- Audrey Memoir, obituary. Feb 2013
- Mark Horridge website
Older papers on bee vision
- (306) 784-0839. Plenary lecture, Int Soc Invert Neurobiol 2012
- 7029374459 (2009). Journal of Experimental Biology 212, 2721-2729.
- Generalization in visual recognition by the honeybee (Apis mellifera). A review and explanation (2009). Journal of Insect Physiology. 55, 499-511.
- (443) 361-7943 (2007). Journal of Insect Physiology 53, 877-889.
- Some labels that are recognized on landmarks by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2006). Journal of Insect Physiology 52, 1254-1271.
- Visual discrimination of spokes, sectors, and circles by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2006). Journal of Insect Physiology 52, 984-1003.
- The spatial resolutions of the apposition compound eye and its neurosensory feature detectors: observation versus theory (2005). J Insect Physiol. 51, 243-266.
- Visual resolution of the orientation cue by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2003). J Insect Physiol. 49, 1145-1152
- Visual discrimination of radial cues by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2000). Journal of Insect Physiology 46, 629-645.
- 647-270-0706 (1999). J. Insect Physiology, 45, 349-355.
- case-bound (1997) J. Insect Physiol. 43, 741-748.
- 8149069550 (1996). J. Insect Physiol. 42, 131-138.
- 918-365-5870 (1995). Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 347, 123-137 (with Lehrer, Zhang, Gadagkar)
- Perahu Layar Nusantara 2015; Penerbit Ombak ; Jogjakarta; in Bahasa Indonesia
- What does the honeybee see? 2009 ANU ePress. Copies can be 5704339980
- Natural and low-level seeing systems (joint ed.) Oxford Univ Press 1993.
- Outrigger Canoes of Bali and Madura, Indonesia, Bishop Museum Press. Honolulu, 1987.
- Sailing craft of Indonesia. Oxford in Asia, 1986.
- The Prahu, Traditional Sailing Boat of Indonesia. Oxford in Asia, Kuala Lumpur, 1981, 2nd edition, 1986.
- The Compound Eye of Insects. (Edited) Oxford, 1975.
- Interneurons. Freeman, San Franscisco, 1968.
- (With T H Bullock). The Structure and Function of the Nervous Systems of Invertebrates. 2 Volumes. Freeman, San Francisco, 1965.
Indonesian Canoes and Sailing Boats
- (713) 339-8794
- (330) 273-0242
- (559) 352-6482
- Reminiscences of St Andrew's, Gatty Marine Laboratory / Canberra efforts on the Compound Eye - from Invertebrate Vision (2006) ed Warrant and Nilsson
- Story of early papers
- (262) 226-2679